Saturday 16 April 2011

17 weeks...

It actually doesn't seem possible. Just a few more weeks to go until we see our little fish again, who is now nearly 11cm long from crown to rump! His eyes look forward instead of to the sides, their ears are almost in their final place, and the rubbery cartilage that will become his skeleton is about to start hardening into bone. A protective substance called myelin slowly begins to wrap around his spinal cord. Sweat glands are starting to develop all over his body. Just as he grows bigger, the umbilical cord, his lifeline to the placenta, is growing stronger and thicker, too. Enough about the placenta though. We don't want to make certain aunties pass out and hit the floor.

My ever expanding uterus has done something to my centre of gravity and I've been all over the shop, especially today (no pun intended!). Walking into things has become a way of life now, I definitely remember this from last time!

Sleep has been interrupted ever since the beginning of the first trimester, and not because Josiah is up all hours, but because I am, for no reason in particular, except my body has decided it must be so. Do not like. And most certainly do not appreciate. My bladder appears to be filling quick and fast at night though.

The great thing is that I am definitely getting my energy back so Jo and I have been having excellent fun, chasing each other around the playground and rolling about the living room floor. The rolling with Mummy will probably have to stop fairly soon though. Shape wise, the smooth rolling wouldn't really work.

And thanks to hayfever (this is why you don't get pregnant so your heaviest time is in the summer) I have been sneezing a lot and it always seems to happen when I'm sitting in a certain position and catch a muscle in my tummy. It hurts! This is pretty much down to all that stretching going on. Like my tummy could possibly stretch anymore. Ha! But it can, apparently.

The other weekend, we were at my folks for the first BBQ of the year. For some reason, we thought it would be a laugh to have our blood sugar tested as soon as we finished eating. One by one, we did. I had the highest, at 7.9 (John was 6.2 - my dad was 4.2, despite polishing off an awful lot of food. How he wasn't in a coma before eating, I'll never know.) Anyway, so obviously I have to keep an eye on the sugar, particularly as diabetes is on the maternal side. Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.

Signing off now! I've babbled a bit much.

No comments:

Post a Comment